Background music for singing is part and parcel of a song. They add value to the overall sound. In that case, recording nicely with background music really makes the song appealing. Now you may ask – how to record myself singing with background music?
Indeed, there are a lot of different ways to record yourself singing with background music. For instance, when you use a laptop to record, you should follow some specific steps. Besides, when you record a song with your phone, you need to follow some apps or check more.
Proper guidelines and tips will give your song more texture and sound more professional. And we are helping you with 6 effective options to choose from. So, without more delays, let’s get started!
How to Record Myself Singing With Background Music
Here are a few ways that you can record your background music for singing. Try whatever best suits you.
1. Recording on Your Laptop or Pc
The simplest tasks you’ll perform with your laptop or computer. But recording yourself singing with background music is surprisingly tough. Here we are describing some techniques below that can make the process easier.
Techniques to Follow:
- Using Audacity:You can use Audacity to record yourself singing with the computer speakers and a microphone. The free software program Audacity is an excellent tool for recording your own songs.
- Cleaning Up The Recording:The best way to improve a song is to re-record it. It is a much better idea than taping over your voice or playing fast. Post-recording editing is essential for removing unwanted background noise and improving your overall quality.
- Warm-Up and Take It Slow:It’s good practice to sing at a comfortable pace before you start recording. Also, you should vary your singing styles, speeds, and levels to prevent boredom.
- Striking A Good Note:You need to hit the right notes when singing with background music on your laptop or computer. Sometimes music can sound fine if you hit one specific note correctly. But if it’s badly out of tune or even just slightly off, then the whole song turns into a disaster. So make sure that whatever you’re singing is exactly as you want it to be.
2. Recording on Your Phone (Android/IOS)
Many smartphones released in recent years have a built-in microphone for auditions. Using this option allows you to record yourself singing along with background music on your phone.
This microphone is on the back of your phone. If your phone is in standby mode, a red circle should be visible somewhere. To record songs with background music Android, you will need:
What You Will Need:
- A mobile device running iOS or Android operating system
- Recording app such as Garage Band or Autodesk iMusic
- Interactive music app such as Toca Band
- Background sound of your choice
- Voice over of your choice
- Song of your choice
- Audio editing software such as iMovie or Audacity
- Recording device that has a microphone and headphone jack
- Different microphone choices for each section
- Vocal harmony for the chorus and breakdowns that include background singing; harmonizing with oneself if one does not have a fellow singe
Related: mic for iphone
3. Recording on an App
App singing involves recording a solo vocal performance over a backing track. When using an app to record the backing track, you can vary the tempo and key of the song at will.
Finding apps to record with background music is not easy. Search for an artist of your liking on YouTube or Sound-cloud.
Download an app like Voice Changer HD or Tune Audio and use it during your practice session. You can create a backing track that matches the tempo and key of your song. Then play the background lyrics while you sing. It will be surprised at how readily your voice adapts to the beat of music. Before long you’ll find yourself hitting those high notes with ease.
4. Recording on Dedicated Equipment Like a Daw
If you would like to spend money, you can also buy a dedicated audio recording device like a digital audio workstation (DAW).
The advantage of DAW is when recording your music, you can record multiple tracks simultaneously. It means that once you have programmed a backing track into the DAW, it will play exactly the same every time when playing back the song.
5. Recording on USB Capable Audio Mixer
First, you need to get a USB-capable audio mixer. It will take your audio from the computer and break it up into individual tracks. This is great for multitrack recording. Then, download Audacity. When you installAudacity, plug in the mixer, and make sure you make the settings.
File > Preferences > Devices > Recording tab/section
Select your USB-enabled device in the Destination box, and click OK at the bottom right of the window.
If there are any errors when registering your device or setting up sound preferences click “OK”.
6. Recording on a Multichannel Audio Interface
A multichannel audio interface allows the computer to have a few connections to the microphone and speaker simultaneously. Multichannel recording can use in video editing as well as in professional recording studios.
Recording your voice along with the music can make the singing feel more natural. But it can be quite difficult to do. Here we are trying to guide you step by step.
- Connect your microphone to the audio interface.
- Set the input levels of the microphone to a moderate level.
- Open a recording program such as Audacity and use it to record yourself singing with the song on your computer using the audio interface as the source of the sound.
- When done recording, export your recording file to a format that most video-sharing websites accept, such as MP3 or AVI.
Tips on Audio Recording with Background Music
Here are some top tips for recording your Song. We will give you some quick pointers to ensure that your voice tracks sound clear, balanced, and intelligible despite background noise and music.
Avoid Using Echo Effects
Echo effects provide a cool effect for vocals. But it can sound bad when mixed with different types of instruments. To keep from ruining your sound, don’t use echo effects. Instead, try reverb. Reverb effects sound like echo but are not as obnoxious or noticeable.
Experiment With The Balance Between The Voice And Music
Sometimes, it’s hard to get all of your voice into the recording because you have so much music in the background. If it happens, turn down some of your background music until you can hear your voice more clearly. Remember that you don’t need lots of records over instrumentals for a great song.
Set Up A Quiet Recording Environment
Ambient noise is the main culprit that ruins a good recording. To avoid this, record in a room with minimal noise or without noise. Use heavy curtains to minimize outside noise. Try to turn off fans, air conditioners, and other appliances that may contribute background noise to the recording.
Use A Pop Filter To Cut Out Plosives
A pop filter acts as protection for the microphone. By keeping it from getting too close to you while you sing or talk into it. Plosives are air being blown from your mouth that cause the microphone to create pockets of air. It can distort the sound. A pop filter helps to avoid this by cutting out plosive sounds from getting to the microphone.
Record With A Good Microphone
The sound is only as good as the weakest link. So, make sure that you are using a microphone that records quality sound. If you plan to upload your recording to YouTube or other video-sharing sites, buy a dedicated USB microphone. Make sure to put it close to you while singing.
Mix On Your Computer
Once you have your recording, it is time to get it mixed. Mixing at a lower level will help eliminate hiss and distortion. It’s a good idea to adjust each track separately with quieter parts and more distorted. Also, make sure the song is mastered correctly so that there are no cracks or pops in the recording.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How to record over a beat on an iPhone? Whether you are on the go or in your home studio, the iPhone offers an array of apps that can help you create your next masterpiece. New technology constantly releases, and with it comes new innovative ways to record, edit, and share content.Recently, a new trend in mobile music creation has been released: the ability to record over a beat on an iPhone.
- How to find instrumental songs? Many people make their own playlists with songs they enjoy. But you may come across a song that does not have lyrics and is only instrumental. It can be difficult to find the perfect instrumental song for a genre of music. But fortunately, there are a lot of resources available.Some websites offer a wide variety of genres, including pop, rock, metal, classical, and others. On these sites, you can search by instrument or by type of music. You can also use YouTube or SoundCloud to find more songs.
The best way to record your singingis to use a sound recorder that has the option to adjust the volume. Make sure to mute any other sounds in the room if possible or move away from them.
Keep in mind that not everyone will have a natural talent for singing. So, be sure to practice before recording yourself.
Hopefully, you’ve successfully learned how to record myself singing with background music.
Graduated with a Bachelor of Audio Engineering and Sound Production. He has worked with a number of studios as a Recording Engineer, with over 10 years of servicing experience in both re-recording mixing and sound editing.