When you are about to get a new set of car speakers, you have to consider a lot of things. One of the most crucial things you have to begin with is the speaker size. Without the proper speaker size, you can't even start your search for good-quality speakers.
Now, the question is, how do you know the proper size? How to measure car speakers? Well, that's what I will be discussing here today. I will go through a step-by-step guide on how you can measure your car speakers to buy a new set of them.
So, please stick with me till the end to learn to measure your car speakers. This is something you can always get used to as a car owner. Let's get going.
- 1 Car speakers have various sizes, the critical dimensions
- 2 How to measure car speakers (tools needed and Steps)
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Conclusion
Car speakers have various sizes, the critical dimensions
There are lots of different sizes of car speakers. Which one you should get depends on the car model and brand. There are some standard speaker sizes, but you will notice slight differences made by the manufacturers. So, when you are getting a speaker, be sure to check the little differences.
Now that it's out of the way, let's look at some of the common speaker dimensions you can find out there.
- 5-inch speakers: These are the speaker sizes you can install on your dashboard or in tighter spaces. You use them as a substitution for more prominent speakers where you can't fit the large ones. For the sounds, you will have terrible bass out of them, but they are pretty good for highs.
- 4-inch speakers: In terms of usage, these are pretty similar to the 3.5-inch speakers. But they are more like an upgrade to the previous one in sound quality. They sound a little bit better than the 3.5-inch ones. You can get them as tweeters or as woofers.
- 25-inch speakers: This is where you start to get a little taste of the mid-bass. They are quite a popular dimension to have as a car speaker. That's why you will find a lot of different options for this size variant.
- 5-inch speakers: Without a doubt, 6.5-inch speakers are one of the most common sizes used in-car speakers. The reason for that is their wide frequency range. You can find them in mid-bass or mid-ranges, as well as woofers and subwoofer. This is the size where you can get a subwoofer in.
- 4x6 speakers: You can consider this another variant of 4-inch speakers. The only difference is that it has a cone surface area larger than the regular one. This allows the speakers to produce better sound within that same spacing. Although, due to their placement, you won't be getting that much bass out of these.
- 5x7 speakers: While these aren't the most common speaker size, they surely have their value. You can install them on your car door or side panel at the rear. They produce decent bass but not too much and have an average power handling capability.
- 6x8 speakers: This is one of the largest speakers you can buy for your car audio system. Other than this one, there is one more size variant which is 6x9. They tend to have a very large cone size and an oval shape. From these speakers, you get great quality sounds along with good bass.
Apart from these, there is a unique size which is 4x10. These speakers are more suited for spaces that have larger lengths and smaller widths. You don't get to see or use these kinds of speakers too often.
Now, which one you need or should be getting depends on the ones you have currently. So, let's check out how you can measure that for your car speakers.
Related: 4×6 speakers for your car audio
How to measure car speakers (tools needed and Steps)
When it's about measuring your car speakers, there are certain parameters to look at. To get the perfect measurement, you will need to measure the different parts. Such as diameter, mounting depth, mounting height, and diameter for the cutout.
Measuring these things should give you the perfect dimensions for the speaker that you need in your car. Now, let's check out the tools you need for the job.
Tools needed for measuring
- Measuring tape
- Tools to remove the panel
- Pen/ Pencil
Gather all these tools and simply follow the steps I am about to go through. These are some basic steps you have to do regardless of the brand or model you are buying.
Steps for measuring car speakers
Here are the steps that you have to follow to measure your car speakers to perfection.
Removing the panel
If you are replacing the speakers on the dashboard or door panel, you have to remove the panel first. Use the panel removing tool to expose the speakers first. You don't have to remove anything if you are removing the front or back speakers.
Removing the speakers
When you see the speakers, you should find several screws on them. You know what you have to do now. Take your screwdriver and start unscrewing the speakers from the board. Then, could you keep it on a flat surface?
Mounting depth measurement
The first thing you have to measure is the mounting depth of the speaker. All you do is measure from the bottom plane to the magnet of the speaker. Then, take your notepad and write down the length.
The mounting depth makes sure that your speaker fits the slot vertically. If you mess up with the mounting depth, you can't screw the speakers in the slot.
Measure the height
The next thing to measure is the height of the speakers. You start from the same place as the previous step. But this time you have to measure to the top of the speakers. Measuring the height will help the speaker fit perfectly and not stick out.
Now, the most crucial part of measuring your speaker is its diameter. Because this is the measurement that dictates the size of the speaker you are going to buy.
To measure the diameter, you can take the tape and keep it on one end. And then extend it till you reach the other hand. The important thing here is to keep the tape straight and on the center of the speaker. Otherwise, you may end up with the wrong measurements.
Also, make sure to measure the diameter from both width and length perspectives because some speakers tend to have different diameters for width and length. And, you can measure the diameter for the cutout if you want to. This will give you a perfect fit for your car speakers.
Measuring the screw distances
If you don't want to drill holes in your car, you have to measure the screw distances as well. So, when you are out there buying a new speaker, you can simply maintain these screw hole distances.
It makes the new speaker fit perfectly into your car without having to drill any holes at all. However, it's not the most important part and you can skip it if you are planning to use different screws anyways.
That's it. That's all you have to do to get the perfect measurement for your car speakers. Just noting down the diameter, height, mounting depth should be enough to get the speaker for your car. And to avoid drilling screw holes, you can also take measurements of that.
Related: 6×8 car speakers
Here are some common questions you may wonder about measuring a car speaker –
- Can a speaker with a different size fit in place of the original one?
Yes, you can fit a speaker with different dimensions fit in place of the original ones. to do that, you will need to use an amount or adapter. The mount will have the same dimensions as the original one, and it will have the perfect fit for the new speaker.
- Is the size the only concern for buying a car speaker?
No, size isn't the only thing you should be worrying about while buying a speaker. You have to take other factors like power ratings, speaker quality, materials, and weight. Considering all these things also plays a role in getting the perfect speaker. However, size is the first thing you should consider because you can't even use a speaker with the wrong dimensions.
- Do speaker sizes work universally?
No, speaker sizes may vary based on manufacturers. The basic size proportion may stay the same, but there are slight variations here and there. So, when you are buying a speaker, don't just look at the dimensions; also, look out for the slight changes in the measurements.
In short, knowing how to measure a car speaker is very important as a car owner. Because sooner or later you will feel the need to replace the existing car speakers. And to buy new speakers for your car, size is the most important thing to consider. Now that you know how to do it, you won't face any issues buying the perfect speakers for your car.
HI, John Andrew here. I’ve been an audiophile since I was a little kid. I’m an original member of myaudiolover . It emerged as a way for me to share my passion and knowledge for audio technology. If you’re looking for tips, techniques, and insights about audio-tech, that can enable your productions that professional edge, then MyAudioLover is the place for you!