The PS4 slim is undeniably a fantastic gaming console. Everyone wants to own one. If you are a gaming enthusiast, you will fall in love with it. Its lineup is amazing. The only downside to an otherwise amazing product is that it misses a digital optical audio output. You cannot use an RCA/AV cable to output sound from the PS4 because it misses Audio out port, unlike the Ps3. What this means is that you are stuck with the PS4 sound system. It can be a painful experience for an audiophile. The good news is that not all hope is lost. There's something you can do about and be able to get
1. Output your PS4 Audio to the speakers through your TV
Most HDMI TVs have an audio output port, so this is the cheapest and most straightforward way to connect your PS4 slim audio output to speakers and enjoy your gaming with
you maybe interested on how to play karaoke on tv
2. Use the game controller to connect the PS4 audio output to speakers
This method is not the best, but it works better than having to bear the default PS4 sound system. You will need a 3.5 3.5-millimeter male-to-male
- Plug one end of the cable into your game controller and the other one to the speakers' port for Audio In.
- Power on your PS4 and plug in your controller into it.
- Navigate to the PS4 console settings and select Settings.
- Select Devices near the bottom of the page, press X, then select Audio Devices. It is at the top of the page.
- After selecting, pressing X on Audio Devices, select Output to Headphones at the bottom of the page and press X. If you notice that this option is greyed out and cannot be selected, check the connection of the aux cable to the PS4 controller and ensure it is rightly plugged in.
- After that, select All Audio and press X. This will reroute the PS4 Audio from your TV speakers to the external speakers connected through the aux audio cables.
The only con to this method is that it alters the PS4 sound and it may be below par. But it is still better than having to use your TV sound, especially if it doesn't have a great audio system. Purchasing -performance cables may be able to help a bit.
Find the best songs for stereo testing.
3. Get a multi-room audio system
When using this method, you can be able to use optical audio output, RCA/ AV cables, or HDMI audio output. All of them are supported. The HDMI splitter automatically distributes a single HDMI input signal into two separate HDMI output signal displays. The HDMI extracts the sound from your HDMI input source to your speakers using a coaxial digital audio output and 3.5-millimeter stereo audio output cables. They support high-resolution sounds, including 4K sound and are compatible with streaming platforms such as Roku and Chromecast. HDMI splitters and HDMI audio extractors can cost up to $40 if the prices on Amazon are anything to go by. They are also available at local electronics stores.
You will find two HDMI ports on the opposite ends of the audio extractor. The audio extractor also has audio-out ports that are compatible with RCA, optical, or 3.5-millimeter stereo cables. It is essential to be sure that the audio extractor's audio output and your speaker's audio input match. For example, if the speaker's audio input is RCA, then get an audio extractor with an RCA audio output. Make sure that you also buy an audio cable. Otherwise you won't have means of connecting your speakers to the audio extractor.
While the TV comes with its HDMI cable that you use for connecting the PS4 to the TV, you will need an extra one so that you can connect the TV to the audio extractor.
To connect your PS4 slim audio output to speakers using an HDMI splitter and an HDMI audio extractor, follow the below guide;
- Use the first cable to connect the PS4 to the audio extractor.
- Take the second cable and plug one end into the audio extractor's Audio Out port and the other end into the TV's HDMI port.
- Use the audio cable to connect the audio extractor to your speakers. The end of the audio cable that is plugged into the audio extractor, is put in the Audio Output, while the one on the speaker goes into the Audio Input.
The only cons to this method are the costs involved. It can be quite expensive for a gamer on a tight budget. Furthermore, the sound is much inferior when compared to using the first method. The sound quality from the audio extractor to your speakers will get affected, so don't be surprised if you notice any difference.
If your TV has quality internal speakers, then it is advisable to avoid spending extra costs on connecting the PS4 slim audio output to speakers. It is not worth spending so much for sound quality that is inferior to that of your TV. Alternatively, you can plug headphones into the controller. But this wouldn't be fun for group games, and prolonged use of headphones can affect your ears.
HI, John Andrew here. I’ve been an audiophile since I was a little kid. I’m an original member of myaudiolover . It emerged as a way for me to share my passion and knowledge for audio technology. If you’re looking for tips, techniques, and insights about audio-tech, that can enable your productions that professional edge, then MyAudioLover is the place for you!