OontZ Angle 3 review, a Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Wireless is the way to go these days and the
In shopping for Bluetooth speakers, considering the physical appearance of the said product may be a shallow point to consider but let’s be honest here, it should be something on top of your list. The weight, length, and shape should be given thought (the color may be an afterthought) since you don’t want to be stuck with a speaker that is too bulky or has a shape that’s hard to keep on any surface. Sure, aesthetics might be a priority for some, but you need to be practical when choosing as well.
Since the main point of wireless speakers is their portability, buying a Bluetooth speaker that is conveniently sized like something you can put inside your pockets or a small bag and weighs nothing more than your phone is the way to go.
OontZ Angle 3: The Basics
The OontZ Angle 3 is a wireless portable Bluetooth speaker from Cambridge Works. It is 5 inches long and 2.8 inches tall and weighs no higher than 10 ounces. It is rechargeable and comes with a 2200 mAh battery which is capable of continuously playing music for 12 hours straight. It can be used vertically and horizontally and has no square edges for portability and easier packing (for travelers, hikers, etc.), it can connect over Bluetooth with any device, for both apple and android products, and comes with a built-in mic for hands-free speaker phone options. Recharging it is a breeze and can be done through a regular micro-USB cable.
It is also water resistant (yay for dancing in the shower!) splash proof, rain proof, sand and dust proof. Take note that it is water resistant but NOT waterproof so, make sure to keep it at a safe distance. The OontzAngle 3 claims to have a higher quality clear sound, brought by its two precision acoustic driver. These features help deliver excellent stereo and bass with louder volume that can fill a whole room. You can play music off of your favorite Spotify playlists or from Apple Music in your bedroom, kitchen, bathroom--- whenever!
Here is the list of the dancing water speakers with lights
OontZ Angle 3: The Pros and Cons:
I think that this speaker is worthy of its prize, but some of its “special” features can also be found in cheaper brands. Like for example, for water resistant but not waterproof speaker, the price is kind of high. However, upon checking OontZ’s other products like the Angle 3 ULTRA and the Angle 3 Plus Edition, I noticed that the Angle 3 is their cheapest and has also received 4 and a half stars in Amazon—going by that, it’s safe to think that the pricing is reasonable.
It also ranked first in the list of Portable
Another thing that most people might find bothersome would be the unit’s lack of “previous” and “next” button—two features that are typical for most speaker models. Alright, so Android users won’t have that much of a hard time with this design issue especially if their phones are built with the option to skip songs.
Most Android users have this option located in the same place as their phone’s volume buttons. However, Apple users will have a bit of trouble with it—in fact; it’s a bit of a hassle for them. Having to unlock their phones just to skip a few songs. For this, it all boils down to preference and if the speaker’s other features outweigh this “flaw”. Note that it also does not have a slot for thumb drives or a USB port, but that’s more of an observation rather than a con.
One of the many things that I like about it the most is its triangular shape, the lack of sharp corners makes it very easy to store. This comes in handy if you travel a lot and have to save as much space as possible in your bag. Its angled edges also mean that the chances of it vibrating and falling off of a surface is very slim. I also like that it has a built-in mic since you don’t have to disconnect your phone from the device if you have to answer calls. Also, the working distance between the phone and the speaker can reach up to 30 feet and for me, for this sound quality and features, the price is pretty acceptable.
In C Net’s Top 10 Best Bluetooth Speakers for 2018, they listed the Bose SoundLink Revolve+ as the best speaker, basically dominating other big name brands in the sound system biz. However, that unit was priced at $299.00 while the cheapest model in the list, which surprisingly did not rank last, is the JBL Clip 2 and it was priced at $49.00—this one is waterproof! The thing to note here is that a lot of the speakers on that list actually had similar, some were the same, features as the OontZ Angle 3. The price on that model?$24.99.
So is it reasonable? Yes. It’s an affordable alternative without compromising on quality and durability. Sure, there are small design flaws, but nothing that would make using it difficult. That said, let’s continue comparing it with other models. Upon browsing all over Amazon I found other Bluetooth speakers from Amazon in the same price range with features that are comparable to the Angle 3, here are some of them:
- AmazonBasics Portable Wireless – this speaker is priced lower and almost has the same features with the OontZ Angle 3. It is a black rectangular speaker with the same size as the Angle 3 except this speaker’s life span upon being fully charged is only for 8 hours maximum, and it is not water proof or life proof either. Not sure about the quality of this product especially with that price.
- iGear Pro Portable Outdoor Stereo Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - priced at lower and like the product that I listed before, almost has the same features as the Angle 3 but this one is neither life proof or water proof. It’s a tad bit heavier since it weighs 15 ounces meanwhile the Angle 3 only weighs 9. On the other hand, though, it has a u-disk and mini SD port which means you can use your saved files on your drives and memory card. It has a life span of 6 hours when fully charged which is relatively shorter than that of the OontZ’s, and it doesn’t have the hands free option for speaker phones.
- MuveAcoustics A-Star Portable Bluetooth Waterproof Speaker – is also similar to the Angle 3 like the other products listed above, one difference is that this speaker is water proof. It has a life span of only 6 hours, which is half of the life span of the OontZ Angle 3. What bothers me about this product is the shape, a round shaped speaker can easily roll off a flat surface if the vibration from the bass gets too loud.
I talked about the things that everyone should consider in buying a Bluetooth speaker and on the top of my list is the physical appearance and the price. Other than that, there are a lot of other things that you should check and compare between different types and brands of Bluetooth speakers.
- You should consider factors such as its life-span when fully charged, the highest volume percentage that it can perform at, the charging time, the cable it uses for charging, devices and gadgets compatible for Bluetooth connection with the said device, the maximum distance between your device and the speaker, whether it is water resistant or water proof, if it has a built-in mic for the hands free or speaker phone option, and if it comes with an aux port and auxiliary cord.
- Other factors like having a u-disc or USB port or if a micro SD can be used on it can also be considered also, but in our time, we rely mostly on our Wi-Fi and Bluetooth features when it comes to connecting into wireless devices.
You maybe interested on budget Computer Speakers
I wouldn’t go as far as saying that owning a Bluetooth speaker is a necessity, but it surely is something that can make anyone’s life easier. Especially for dancers since most of the music used these days are stored in our phones, be it Spotify, Apple Music or Pandora, we have our trusted phones for anything and having a portable speaker on hand means you don’t have to bother carrying an aux cord anywhere and hoping that they have a decent speaker that works with your device.