Are you going through some trouble with your Skullcandy earbuds? Maybe, it’s time to rip into it and check out if the problems are with the hardware or not. However, it’s not something you can just do without knowing anything.
To help you out in that regard, here I will tell you how to take apart Skullcandy earbuds. So, if you want to check out what’s inside your Skullcandy earbuds and fix any issue, this is the guide you need.
How to take apart Skullcandy earbuds
There are typically two things that you can take apart in earbuds. One is the charger case, and the other one is the earbuds themselves. Luckily, taking them apart isn’t that difficult and doesn’t require any particular tools either.
Let’s get through the process of taking apart a charger case first; then, I will move on to the earbuds.
Taking apart Skullcandy earbuds charging case
Here’s how you can take apart your Skullcandy earbud charging case –
- First, you will need to get a very thin screwdriver or a knife to pry open the case. Usually, the upper layer is just attached that you can simply disassemble using a knife.
- Insert the knife by the edge of the case and remove the bottom part of the case. This will reveal all the internal parts of the charging case.
- The first thing you see is the battery with a foam layer on top. This works as a cushion between the shell of the charging case and the battery. You can move the battery pretty easily with your hands.
- Under the battery, you get the motherboard or circuit. The motherboard is usually screwed in, so you can simply use a screwdriver to remove the motherboard from the case.
- Once you do that, you will see the motherboard uses an FPC to stay connected with the case. You can remove the FPC connector with your hands or tweezers. This will let you separate the motherboard from the charging case completely.
That’s pretty much as far as you can tear down the charging case of your Skullcandy earbuds. You can separate the internal circuit from the case at most. You don’t have anything to tear down or remove on a charging case from thereon.
Taking apart the earbuds
Now, let’s take a look at how you can tear down your earbuds. They are a bit harder to tear down because of their smaller size. Still, with the proper steps, you can do it for sure. Here’s what you have to do –
- First, you have to find the seams so you can pry open the earbuds initially. It’s pretty much the same as pry opening the charging case.
- Once you open it up, you can find two parts. There will be a battery along with the motherboard on the larger part, and on the other part, you will see the speaker and charging unit.
- The battery is connected to the mainboard through soldering wires. You can still remove it while keeping it connected to see the mainboard.
- The earbud speaker is connected to the board using FPC and other connectors. You can disconnect them to separate the two parts of the earbuds.
- Now, there is another section that you can pry open, which is the outermost part of the earbud. It’s almost like a cover to the part where the mainboard and battery are placed.
- When you remove that, you can get access to removing the mainboard alongside the battery. You don’t need any tools for that; just pushing the mainboard a little should remove it.
Usually, I won’t recommend going further than this. I mean, after that, you can just remove the battery from the mainboard by removing the soldered wires. Then again, you will need to solder them again if you want to fix the earbuds.
In short, knowing how to take apart Skullcandy earbuds can come in handy when you are facing hardware issues, even though it’s not something I would recommend doing if you don’t know circuits. Still, you can try out taking apart the earbuds out of curiosity. Be careful when dealing with the earbuds as they are quite small to handle correctly.
Graduated with a Bachelor of Audio Engineering and Sound Production. He has worked with a number of studios as a Recording Engineer, with over 10 years of servicing experience in both re-recording mixing and sound editing.