Aiwa Exos-9 Review – The Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker
If you’re looking for a portable entertainment speaker, the Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker is a must-try. This speaker is equipped with 200 watts of powerful and continuous sound. It even has five drivers, plus a 6.5” dual-voice coil subwoofer. It’s so portable that you can install it hassle-free in your car, inside your house, or while having an outdoor party.
For audiophiles who are always on the go, finding the best portable Bluetooth speaker is a challenge. There are many factors to consider such as the sound quality, durability, convenience, and compatibility with mobile apps.
Aiwa Exos-9 Specifications
The Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker is easy to use and is compatible with both Apple and Android devices, and is also Android NFC-compatible. You can even use it with your Kindle tablet, Windows device, laptop, or PC. The aptX and A2DP support allow hassle-free Bluetooth connection and high-quality, CD-like sound for both Android and Apple devices. A 3.5mm jack is also available for direct, physical connections. You, your friends, and family can take turns in connecting devices and choose music according to preference.
The product dimensions are 11.7 x 7.5 x 19.4 inches and weighs 13 lbs. Not too heavy and is comparable to 2 Nike shoeboxes on top of each other. With these dimensions, sound quality will not be affected.
The sound quality is comparable to home sound systems and car stereos. The powerful 200 watts emits a deep bass sound with no clipping. You can even crank up the volume and enjoy distortion-free loudness. No need to purchase additional audio enhancements such as sub-woofers.
The speakers are equipped with a dual-coil subwoofer for that rich bass experience. The dedicated midrange and tweeter drivers provide deeper, more precise, and broader music experience.
If you’re worried about convenience, you can charge the 57.2 Watt-hour lithium-ion battery and play non-stop music for up to 9 hours. The battery pack is removable so that you can purchase an extra one for back-up. On the other hand, you can also keep it plugged in a 110-240V electric socket. This portable Bluetooth speaker is convenient to bring for travel on camping trips, beach outings, outdoor parties, or while you’re cleaning out your garage or backyard.
Audiophiles don’t have to worry about sound quality and surround sound. You can even connect two Aiwa Exos-9 speakers for a more powerful and surround-quality sound system. You can configure them as dual stereo or stereo-separated depending on your needs. Host a large party and keep them entertained with high-quality surround music.
The Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker even has a 5-band onboard graphic equalizer. You can manipulate the highs and mids, increase the bass and customize the music according to the genre. Play distortion-free rock, alternative, jazz, blues, pop, or R&B music. You can also choose from the four preset equalizer settings for easier fine-tuning. Your bass will sound deep and boom without the skipping.
This product is also easy to use. You don’t need to pair it with your Bluetooth device to connect. Turn it on and then press and hold the “play” and “link” button for about 3 seconds until it beeps. The device will show on your Bluetooth device’s menu, and you can just click it to connect. Resetting the device is so easy, and you or your friend can connect in a few seconds.
If you’re worried that somebody else might disrupt the music, there is a feature to lock the connection to your device. You can keep that dance number going or prevent lousy music from playing.
The best thing about this product is that it comes with a one-year warranty. If you are unhappy with the quality, there is also a 60-day risk-free guarantee that allows you to ship it back for a full refund. You don’t even need to pay for shipping returns.
Other products in the market are almost similar to the Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker. We compared the product with other high-quality portable Bluetooth speakers to see how it fares.
The good thing about this product is that it can play unplugged for up to 20 hours. It also comes with double-ended coil and 3.5mm audio jack. The downside is that it is not NFC-compatible and cannot be linked with another speaker of the same brand or kind. It also does not come with a warranty.
One feature that this item boasts of is that it is water-resistant, sand-proof, and dirt-proof. It also has a 3.5mm stereo jack plus an Aux input port. It can play music for up to 14 hours and has a 3.5 microphone input. The downside is that it only has four audio drivers, so the sound quality is not as powerful considering its enormous size. At a hefty 18 pounds, it is not portable to transport.
The good thing about this speaker is that you can pair two devices simultaneously and switch from one device to another when playing music. It also has a slot for charging mobile devices. The 10-hour audio playtime is also great for uninterrupted music.
It is also NFC-compatible and has a 3.5mm audio jack. At 2.25 pounds, it is lightweight and portable. The drawback is that it only has three equalizer modes, so the bass is not as rich. With its size and just two 5w drivers, it doesn’t emit a high-quality surround sound.
How to Choose a Bluetooth Speaker
Choosing the best Bluetooth speaker according to your needs entails careful consideration. There are factors that you need to look for to ensure that you get the quality that you deserve.
If you are a first-time buyer and don’t want to get ripped off when buying a Bluetooth speaker, here are some tips for you.
- Bluetooth connection – make sure that it is compatible with any device. Look for compatibility with Android, Apple, Kindle, NFC, and even tablets and PCs. Check out the range, too. You should still be able to connect within 33 feet up to 50 feet. You may also want to look for the aptX codec, which provides a high-quality CD-like sound. However, aptX is not compatible with Apple devices. The alternative is the A2DP support.
- Portability – Keep in mind that smaller is not always better. A very light and small speaker is portable. The downside is the sound quality will suffer. More than 10 lbs is already heavy. Don’t choose a product that is more than 15 lbs.
- Durability – You may opt for a waterproof speaker if you like having excursions in or near the water. However, if your purpose is to bring the speaker outdoors, you don’t need this feature. Opt for a sturdy-looking speaker instead. Check the frames and materials used if they are thick and not brittle.
- Warranty – A product warranty is beneficial in case your product gets damaged during shipment. This is not saying that the product is not durable. A warranty is useful for factory defects which may have slipped through quality inspection. It is best to have one for emergencies.
- Audio drivers – Look for speakers which have at least 4 or 5 audio drivers. Dual-coil subwoofers that measure more than 5 inches are recommended.
- Sound – Surround sound is a great feature. Look at the wattage and choose something that is 200 watts or above for a more powerful sound.
- Battery life – Speaking of portability, how long your Bluetooth speaker plays while it is unplugged is something to look out for. It should be able to run for 10 hours or more. Otherwise, you should be able to charge it in a 110-220v electrical socket. Check also if the battery pack is removable so you can purchase an extra one.
Keep in mind that battery life is also affected by the loudness and how frequent you change your music. Bluetooth connections also affect battery life, so you may want to connect your device directly.
- Wired connections – To save on your portable speaker’s battery life, it is best to choose a speaker that has a 3.5mm audio jack where you can plug in your device. An AUX input jack will also come in handy. Speaking of connections, an added benefit is when you can connect it with another portable Bluetooth speaker of the same type for added power.
- Equalizer – The Bluetooth speaker needs to have equalizer settings so you can customize it according to the music genre. You should be able to fine-tune them or use the pre-set options manually.
- Budget – Set a budget for your purchase. How much is too expensive for you? The speakers don’t have to cost an arm and a leg for you to get the best quality. You just have to watch out for the specifications.
- Location – Think of where you would normally use your portable speakers. The sound quality will differ in a very large room as compared with outdoors. How it sounds inside the store will be very different once you bring it home and play it in the garden.
Who Should Purchase a Portable Bluetooth Speaker
All audiophiles who own a mobile device should definitely get a portable Bluetooth speaker. You can bring your music anywhere and play it for the enjoyment of others. You can even use it in your car to enhance the music.
If you love having outdoor parties, a portable Bluetooth speaker comes in handy. Just make sure that it is not bulky enough to carry around, or else you’ll look like the sound system man.
Testing the Speakers
The first thing that you should test is the sound. Test it outdoors or in a large room and take note of the quality. Adjust the bass, mids, highs, and pre-set equalizer according to the music genre. Listen to the sound of the bass if it emits a vibrant and booming sound with no skips. Crank up the volume and listen for distortion.
Try pairing it with different devices and see how easy it is to connect. Time how quick or how long it takes to connect to the speakers and if you get kicked out.
It is also important to see if the battery life stays true to its claims. Leave the speakers on and set a timer until they turn off. You may want to opt for calming music if you’re going to play it overnight and choose an acceptable volume so as not to disrupt others.
The Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker stays true to its claims of smooth, hassle-free, high-quality sound. When fully charged, it played music for up to 9.5 hours. The sound quality is also excellent no matter what the genre is – rock, R&B, jazz, blues, poop, and even classical music sounded great. The equalizer settings were easy to manipulate.
The surround sound is also impressive outdoors or indoors. Play it in a garden, in the living room, in a large conference room, or in the beach, and you get fantastic music. It sounded really great inside a room. It fills all corners of the room with its rich bass and trebles.
One downside to this product is the LCD which should display important information such as signal, pairing, firmware version that makes troubleshooting easier. The LCD clearly displays the Bluetooth signal and the equalizer settings, which makes it acceptable. Also, in case you should run into some serious problems, a manual is difficult to find. However, customer support is very helpful and easy to contact so you can just give them a call.
There are also some rare reviews that iPhone pairing is difficult. The workaround is to reboot both devices to refresh the connection, and you’re good to go.
Overall, the Aiwa Exos-9 Portable Bluetooth speaker is a good buy. Although it costs almost $300, you can never go wrong as it comes with a product warranty. Also, it is durable enough and looks classy. You can even display it in your living room without ruining the aesthetic look. The sound quality is also excellent, so the price is just right.